Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Sewing from a pattern

It's been a very long time since I've used a pattern to sew a wearable garment. I'm talking 20 years. Yep, high school Home Economics was the last time I think. It's been a learning curve, that's for sure!

I was in need of a heavy-weight a-line black work skirt. One I could wear my many pairs of boots with. I finally found a pattern that I thought would look nice - New Look #6854 (B).

Once I got over the shock of measuring up to a size 16 (!) I just went with it. The only alteration I had to do in the end was make the butt darts deeper. I think this pattern was meant to be worn high in the waist as you can see in the pic. But I like to wear mine low on the hips. Hence the size 16 and smaller butt. It's taken me one whole day, but it's done with no major catastrophes. I even lined it! Since it is nighttime now, I can't get a good pic. I'll try to get one up tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment